Siddha Medicine & Natural Remedies for Aphthous ulcers
A mouth ulcer is a painful sore in the mouth usually white or yellow in colour surrounded by red area. It appears usually on tongue, lip, gums or inside cheek associated with pain, burning sensation and difficulty in taking food. Normally it takes 7 to 10 days for a mouth ulcer to heal. It may be minor form, large form or herpetiform ulcer.
According to Siddha the major cause of mouth ulcer is increased Pitham in the body due to improper dietary habits leading to frequent constipation and indigestion causing ulcers to form in the oral cavity.
- Nutritional deficiency, especially Vitamin C and Vitamin B12
- Poor dental hygiene
- Infections like Herpes
- Constipation or any bowel disease.
- Hormonal imbalance
- Excessive spicy and acidic food
- Stressful life
- Over uses of alcohol and tobacco
- Effect of drugs and chemicals
Siddha Medicine & Natural remedies :
- Avoid Constipation: Drink 8-10 glasses of warm water daily. Fiber rich foods may also help prevent constipation. Laxative like Thriphala choornam, a herbal blend of three drugs- Terminalia chebula, Phyllanthus emblica and Terminalia bellirica is very effective in curing constipation and cleansing digestive properties. The healing properties of amla also cures the oral ulcer. This powder can also be used as a gargle or mouth wash.
- Regular intake of Vitamin C rich friuts like Amla.
- Chew a piece of liqorice daily till the ulcer heals completely. Liqorice helps to refresh the mouth, clean the teeth and heal the sores.
- Eating salad which includes raw Onions. Onions contain sulphur which treats mouth ulcer and prevents its reoccurance.
- Take adequate yoghurt and buttermilk with food.
- Gargle with coconut milk twice or thrice daily.
- Chew 3-4 Tulsi leaves daily with hot water.
- Gargle with turmeric mixed in warm water twice daily.
- Practice a good oral hygiene. Use a soft tooth brush and brush your teeth twice daily.
- Cut Tea/Coffee till the ulcer heals completely. Avoid spicy, oily and fatty foods. Anti-pitha foods like papaya are very good to heal the ulcers.
If proper care and treatment is done, mouth ulcer may heal early and pain may get releived. However if the ulcer persist for more than two weeks don’t forget to consult a doctor. Take care, stay fit and keep healthy.