Herbal Remedies for Dandruff
Dandruff is a very common problem seen amongst kids teenage and adults. Medically termed as Pityriasis Capitis, characterised by excessive shedding of dead skin from scalp. Usually dead skin cells flakes once in a month in small amount as a normal procedure. But sometimes flaking increases beyond normal limits and happens to occur every 2 to 7 days, may be associated with redness and itching. Dandruff is of two types :
- Pityriasis sica : Commonly seen in winter. Dry, fine, thin, furfuraceous white scales flakes out from the scalp making the hair dry and dull. Mild to moderate itching present and flakes may appear on shoulders during combing.
- Pityriasis steatoides : Commonly seen in puberty oily skin and scalp. Also seen over eyelids, eyebrows, beard, sternal, axillary, groin areas. Scalp lesion are greasy yellowish with thick scales and crust. Beneath the crust scalp appears to be dry and red or pale. Hair matting common. If it persists leads to Seborrhoeic dermatitis or hair loss (Alopecia pityroides)
- Poor Hygiene
- Climatic conditions like winter or summer season
- Water conditions & hard shampoos
- Stress & Depression
- Increased Consumption of Spicy Non veg tinted and canned food and alcohol beverages
Herbal Home Remedies :
- A paste of black pepper and milk can be applied on scalp before 30 minutes before bath and then washed off
- Peels of lemon can be dried, powdered and used for cleaning the hair and scalp
- 1 teaspoon of Funugreek can be soaked over night in gruel water (rice cooked water) next day it can be ground well and applied over scalp after 30 to 40 minutes washed off. It is a very good conditioner and natural cleanser.
- 2 to 3 spoons of coconut oil can be mixed with 1 spoon of Amla juice. This mixture can be massaged daily in the scalp.
- 2 to 3 drops of lemon juice can be mixed with warm coconut oil and massaged over scalp.
- Use mild shampoo or green gram powder for washing the hair.
Siddha Medicines for Dandruff :
External Medicines like Poduthalai Thylam, Arugan Thylam, Vetpalai Thylam, Panchakarpakuliyal Choornam etc and various internal medicines can be prescribed on consultation with a Siddha Physician.
Tips to prevent Dandruff :
- Keep away from Allergic foods like baked foods yeast and preservative added foods, Cheese, vinegar and alcohol beverages.
- Wash hair 2 – 3 times a week with mild shampoo or herbal powder.
- Massage scalp regularly with suitable oil with finger tips at least twice a day.
- Diabetes is related to Dandruff and itchy scalp. Keep a routine blood sugar check-up.
- Comb the hair well at least twice a day. Most affective way to brush the hair is bending the waist with head down towards the ground and brushing from the nape of the neck to top of head. This will help to increase blood circulation and tone the scalp.
- Avoid Junk food spicy and canned food, aerated drinks and too much of tea or coffee.
- Eat fresh food with good nutritive value, fibre rich, salads, fruits, cereals and pulses. Drink plenty of water.
- Keep away Stress and Depression.
- Keep a good night sleep routine.
- Avoid sharing hair dressing articles like comb hair pins, towels etc.
Dandruff can be image disaster and confidence slayer so take healthy measures to get rid of it and prevent it. Instead of going for harsh chemicals and hair cleaners or shampoos, try natural healthy and simple home remedies or consult a herbal practitioner for expert advice.