Diarrhoea – Causes, Siddha Medicine & Treatment
Diarrhoea is a condition which causes increased frequency of bowel movements with loose and watery stools often accompanied with stomach pain. In Siddha it is known as Perumkazhichal noi, usually caused by abnormal food habits causing derangement of Vatham. The Vatha sub components – Udana vayu and Abana vayu are vitiated leading to indigestion, abdominal flatulence, increased frequency of bowel movements with pain and watery stools. On severity, pitham may also get vitiated leading to derangement of 7 Udal thathus and bloody diarrhoea as seen in kuruthi Perunkazhichal.
Causes of Diarrhoea :
- Intake of foods which is hard to digest(oily, fatty, cold type)
- Chronic Indigestion,
- Overeating along with Improper digestion of previously consumed foods
- Food Poisoning
- Contaminated Food/ Water
- Wrong eating habits
- Bacterial/ Viral/ Parasitic infections
- Overuse and Overdose of Antibiotics and laxatives
- Consumption of too much of unripe fruits and veggies
- Psychological conditions like depression, anxiety etc
Symptoms of Diarrhoea:
- Increased frequency of stools
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain with cramps
- Bloated abdomen
- Feeble pulse
- Cold extremities
- Consume jeera water every 3 hours to prevent dehydration and improve digestive power.
- Drinking water boiled with dried ginger helps to overcome pain and cramps.
- Cut tea, coffee. Drink only lemon tea.
- Avoid all types of fatty, oily and raw foods like roughage.
- Avoid fruit juice.
- Eat light, easily digestible foods like soups, gruel, curd rice and steamed foods.
- Drinking barley water, tender coconut water, gruel water is useful as it contains electrolytes.
Siddha Medicine & Treatment:
- Never discard the peels of pomegranate. Cut the peels into small pieces, place them over a plate in the sun in such a way that no peels overlap each other. Repeat this till the peels loses all moisture and become hard. After peels gets hard, preserve them in an air tight container. For diarrhoea and dysentery, take 3-5 small pieces, add a glass of water and boil. Take this medicated water 30-40 ml at regular intervals until the problem subsides. This is one of the most effective, traditional home remedies. The peels contain tannins which is a very powerful astringent, helps to reduce inflammation of intestines and stops bleeding and loose motions. Also effective for colitis and bleeding piles.
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of ginger juice to 1/2 spoon of lemon juice and take it twice a day .
- A glass of buttermilk with 1/4 teaspoon of fenugreek powder once or twice
These remedies are very potent and most of the sufferers quickly recover but if the diarrhoea doesn’t stop within 12-24 hours, consult your physician immediately.
In Siddha there are effective medicines like Chundaivattral choornam, Thayirchundi choornam, Kattuvathi mathirai,Thalisathi vadagam, Kabada mathirai etc which can be prescribed according to the condition, age and nadi/pulse of the patient. Right diet and healthy food habits can prevent us from such ailments to a large extent. Keep fit and Stay Healthy.