Natural methods to manage Blood Pressure
Blood Pressure is one of the important examination performed by the physicians to record the health status of a patient. Blood pressure is comprised of two entities :-
Systolic pressure which is controlled by stroke volume of heart and stiffness of arterial walls.
Diastolic pressure which is controlled by peripheral resistance.
Optimal Systolic B.P for a normal person is 100-120 mm Hg
Optimal Diastolic B.P for a normal person is 60-80 mm Hg
Hypertention is likely to occur if systolic pressure rises 140mmof Hg and diastolic above 90 mm of Hg. Blood pressure may vary normally with respiration, exercise, meals, alcohol, tobacco, temperature, pain, sleep, age and race. But a constant elevated B.P is a sign of damage of vital organs like Heart, Kidneys, Blood Vessels, Retina and Central Nervous System. The intial symptoms which a patient develops due to elevated B.P is Head ache, dizziness and some times Epitaxis or bleeding from nose due to rupture of nasal capillaries. Untreated Hypertention may slowly lead to complications like Angina, Heart attack, Transient Ischemic Attack, Stroke, Kidney failure etc.
Here are some natural ways one can follow if they find out they need to control their Blood Pressure. If they are in the starting phase of Hypertention, even without medication the can maintain the Blood Pressure with these simple natural methods.
- Restrict Salt intake : Increased salt intake may lead to Hypertension as too much of salt in the blood may attract and draw more water into the blood which in turn increases the volume of the blood leading to Blood Pressure. High salt containing foods like processed food, preserved food, can food, tinned food, cheese, pickles etc should be avoided. Go for Natural foods and the limit the use of table salt in diet.
- Avoid Caffeine : Coffee, Cola and beverages containing Caffeine increases blood pressure and risk of stroke and heart attack. Choose other alternatives like Ginger tea, Lemonade, Tender coconut water etc which are healthy drinks for body.
- Consume Potassium rich food : Foods like spinach, bananas, asparagus etc are rich in Potassium, these foods helps to lower sodium in the body there by lowering the blood pressure.
- Avoid Alcohol : Increased Alcohol consumption may lead to Hypertension, increased chances of Stroke and Heart attack. Alcohol contains large amount of Calories and contribute unwanted weight gain. Drinking too much alcohol can raise blood pressure to unhealthy levels.
- 7 – 8 hours of night sleep to keep stress hormones at bay : Sleep is very important for Healthy body and a sound mind. It keeps stress hormones at bay and helps to maintain healthy vascular system. Sleep deprivation may obstruct the flow of Oxygen to the body and increase the risk Stroke, Cardiovascular diseases, Diabetes and Hypertension. Have a good night sleep of 8 – 10 hours daily.
- Stress relieving techniques like Yoga & Meditation : Stress relieving techniques like Meditation & Yoga are very helpful to maintain normal blood pressure and reduce the risk of Heart diseases and stroke. Increased stress may elevate stress hormone which increases blood pressure by making the heart beat faster and blood vessels to narrow. Long term stress may even cause damage to heart and cause risk of Heart diseases, stroke.
- Taking 1 – 4 cloves of Garlic daily with food : 1 – 4 cloves of Garlic daily keeps the arteries and heart healthy, it lowers bad cholesterol, improves good cholesterol and maintains normal blood pressure. (Note : Patients suffering from Heart diseases and taking blood thinners like Aspirin should consume garlic only after consulting their doctors.)
- Regular & daily exercise for 15 – 20 minutes : Brisk walking and Exercises help in improving blood circulation and lowers the chances of atherosclerosis and complications of hypertension. It helps to maintain optimum blood pressure.
Hypertension is a silent killer, most of the sufferers are asymptomatic and hence early diagnosis is a problem. Instead of switching to strong Allopathic medication try to control and manage it with Natural methods first and then going for higher medications.
Hope this article was beneficial for our readers. Keep reading, Stay Healthy.