Individuals especially Women are increasingly falling prey to the obesity bug largely due to a sedentary lifestyle and good appetite. Also the new- age woman who juggles a hectic work schedule and personal life sees her body undergo metabolic changes. More often than not, such women either skip meals or binge on unhealthy food; all leading to obesity. Apart from your shape, all those extra pounds can also lead to many health problems like heart disease, lipid abnormalities, blood sugar irregularities, hormonal imbalance and problems in conception and fertility. Today almost every age group is affected by weight issues, especially women in their thirties. This is when, caught between balancing their family and professional lives, they rarely spare time to watch their weight. In the attempt to do something about it, they generally try diet plans and strenuous workout sessions, which don’t get rid of the sagging belly or flaccid arms, thereby adding to their frustration and helplessness. Things get so bad that some women avoid family functions, office meetings and even important presentations because they do not feel confident enough to face people and situations. This emotional stress can even lead to depression. Crash diets or excessive gymming won’t become a real help. Here are tips on losing weight in a healthy manner.
- Keep a check on your metabolism : The Basal Metabolic Rate is the energy used by a person while inactive. Imagine burning away those unsightly inches while you rest. Agents in chillies and pepper help increase BMR. So next time, choose a spicy dish over a sweet one. Working out also helps increase BMR. Get a workout plan tailored to your needs.
- Make fibre your friend : Increasing fibre intake will keep you feeling full for longer. This will make it easier to resist temptation. Foods rich in fibre include whole grains, beans and green leafy vegetables, among others.
- Ban the lift : You must have heard of ‘lift the ban’ but it’s time to ban the lift. Use stairs whenever possible and sweat away those calories.
- Gym responsibly : Excessive gymming leads to muscle and water loss. Muscles play an active role in increasing BMR; so be sure your gym programme suits your needs.
- Ask for a weight-maintenance programme : Weight loss must be followed by a weight-maintenance plan because that is where the real challenge is.
- Don’t expect miracles overnight : Try these faithfully along with healthy eating and you’ll see a marked change in yourself.
Source : The Hindu