Our body is made up of 70% water. Water is utilized in all cells, organs, and tissues to help regulate its temperature and maintain other bodily functions. Because our body loses water through breathing, sweating, and digestion, it’s important to re-hydrate by drinking fluids and eating foods that contain water. Drinking water is very essential and lack of water in the body can end up in ailments like urinary infection, kidney stones, and other health issues. As we all know drinking water is important but very little people know how to drink water in the best way which is healthy and useful. Let’s ponder on few tips to drink water effectively.
- Always sit down to drink water : By sitting and drinking water, our muscles and nervous system is much more relaxed and helps in better digestion and absorption of food and better absorption of water into the systems. When we stand and drink water, it flows in great volume down the food canal and splashes onto the lower stomach wall which damages the stomach wall and the nearby organs there by disturbs the digestive system and further causes heart and kidney problems if practiced on term. Water is taken while standing disturbs the balance of other body fluids. Ultimately it also affects the joint regions and cause deficiency of required fluids in joints. This results in joint pains or arthritis.
- Avoid gulping large volumes at once : Avoid gulping large volumes of water in a single breath, rather take smaller sip, swallow, breathe and repeat throughout the day. This holds true while having your meals too… Chugging all water at once puts unnecessary pressure on the Renal system.
- Drink only warm/ room temperature water : Ice chilled water disturbs the digestion and hinders the digestive fire. Cold water decreases the blood supply to various organs of the body further leading to constipation. Warm or tepid water is the best for body and can help in proper digestion and metabolism that promotes weight loss, relieves bloating and pain. It also helps in in controlling cholesterol levels and keeping the arteries clean.
- Start your day with warm water : Healthy habit to drink water first thing in the morning helps get rid of many diseases in the body. Drinking warm water in the morning helps in flushing all the toxins in the body and cleanses your intestines. 500 ml to one liter can be taken for best results.
- Know the indicator of dehydration : It is said that drink water only when thirsty. But we must also understand the indicator when our body is dehydrated and needs immediate replenish If the color of urine is dark yellow color means body is undergoing dehydration, and is a indicator that it needs water in plenty till you notice fairly clear and straw colored urine which is a sign of a hydrated body. Dry chapped lips are another of the indicators of a dehydrated body. Notice these cues as these may turn into health problems.
- Avoid drinking water just after meal : Drinking a glass of water 30 minutes before a meal helps digestion. Avoid drinking too soon before or just after a meal as this water dilutes the digestive juices. Also Drink water an hour after the meal to allow the body to absorb the nutrients.
There are many different opinions on how much water one should be drink every day. The health authorities commonly recommend eight 8-ounce glasses, which equals about 2 liters, or half a gallon. This is called the 8×8 rule and is very easy to remember. Drink water. Keep fit and stay healthy!!