Plant name : Agathi
“The Great Siddhar Agasthiyar liked this medicinally enriched herb, hence named Agathi”
Botanical name : Sesbania grandiflora
Family : Papilionaceae
Actions : Astringent, Febrifuge, Vermifuge, Antidote.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- The intake of the leaf of this medicinal herb can remove the intestinal worm.
- Siddhar Agasthiyar has described in his verses about the importance of this herb as Antidote. It also nullifies the effect of Idumarunthu or philters.
- This is herb is avoided to the patients who are taking medicines for any specific disease because the intake of this herb may reduce the efficacy of the medicine.
- Research on this plant has proved that its frequent intake bring heamolytic effect on human. Aneamia, skin manifestation and diarrhoea may occur.
- 1 to 2 drops of leaf juice is used as nasal drops to cure intermittent fever, sinusitis and headache.
- For fever the paste of the leaf can be externally applied over the body.
- Small doses of decoction of the bark of this plant is given in the initial stages of erruptive fevers like small pox.
- The flowers also pocess similar properties like leaves.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.