Immunity is the state of well being when the body has sufficient biological defenses to prevent infections, diseases and other biological invasions. A good immune system is key to good health, fitness and work efficiency.
Reasons for low immunity :
- Poor diet/Malnutrition
- Smoking And Alcohol
- Lack of Sleep
- Lack of Exercise
- Excessive use of drugs like antibiotics
- Lack of Hygiene
- Metabolic disorders
If a person gets tired easily or tends to catch cough, cold and other ailments quickly or experience insomnia (difficult to sleep) it means the immunity is dropping. Siddha herbs not only gives a effective cure but it provides way to prevent the occurrences of ailments by improving immunity. Some of such herbs are discussed below that helps to build and maintain the natural immune mechanism of the body thus preserving the vitality and health. Top 5 Siddha herbs to boos immunity are :
- Gooseberry/Amla/ Nellikkai : One of the richest source of Vitamin C. Also contains Iron, Calcium, Carbohydrates, Sugar, Phosphorus, Water. It is a Thrithoda samani- helps to balance the three humours – Vatha, Pitha and Kapha. It rejuvenates the body and improves immunity. Dried powder powder, fresh fruits, juice, salads or legyams prepared from this fruits can be included in daily diet. It is the best medicine during convalescent period. Really safe and healthy for kids too. It prevents mental and physical fatigue and acts as a tonic for the complete body. It is helpful in regulating sugar and Cholesterol levels respectively. Improves circulation, enhances digestion and relieves constipation.
- Ginger : Decreases Vatham and Kapham in body. Fights infection by improving immunity. Dried ginger powder / fresh ginger can be administered daily as juice or mixed with hot water/honey or juices. Can be taken as ginger tea. It gives relief from respiratory problems, digestive disorders, reduces inflammations, reduces chest congestion, opens sinuses. Excellent medicine for body pains, gastro intestinal problems, respiratory infections.
- Turmeric : Best medicine for all Vatha, Pitha and Kapha ailments.Common cold, skin problems, joint pains, Liver ailments etc can be well managed through turmeric. 1g powdered turmeric can be taken with hot milk or warm water daily. Also used as an external application with oil or as paste, Anti cancer and Anti microbial and Immune modulator. Daily doses of little turmeric as told above helps to maintain a sound immune system and keeps illness at bay.
- Tulsi : (Krishna Tulsi/ Holy basil): Anti- bacterial, Anti- Viral, Anti fungal, Anti- Asthmatic , Anti stress and many more countless amazing action this miraculous herb possesses. Fresh leaf juice ( 1/2 teaspoon) can be taken daily with honey or fresh leaves 2-4 can be cleaned and chewed. It helps to manage respiratory ailments especially due to cold climate, aids digestion, prevents the body from infections, enhances immunity for a strong defense system of the body.
- Aswagendha/ Ammukura/ Withania somnifera : Improves immunity, Rejuvenator, Restores energy. Root powder with milk or honey can be taken daily. Anti-ageing, Anti- Cancer, Cardioprotective, Sleep enhancing etc are some of its important effects. Also used in Arthritis and Neuro-degenerative problems.
Siddha medicines like Thriphala Choornam, Thrikadagu Choornam, Ammukura choornam, Seenthil preparations, Vilva containing medicines, Karisalai etc are good immune modulators. The above said top 5 herbs- Gooseberry, Turmeric, Amukkura, Tulsi and Ginger can be used as they are readily available, safe to use and effective too. However before consuming any company manufactured products or any medicines available in market consult a herbal practitioner to know about the drug and its dose and get it prescribed by a registered practitioner always. Always believe in herbs, safe and natural. Keep Healthy and Stay Fit.