Spending an evening with family and dining in your favourite restaurant makes the moment perfect. While ordering your favourite menu and enjoying your favourite food, how many of you know that “what you are eating is not what you have ordered ?”. MSG’s or Ajinomotto one of the common food additives and a taste enhancer is present in it. This ingredient is also labelled in the packed soups, broths, sauces, canned food, sauces, chips, soups, processed meats and fishes, packed vegetable extracts like Tomato puree or Ginger garlic paste, noodle packs, even in some imported veggies like Broccoli etc.
“Ajin-no-motto” literally means essence of taste. Chefs around the globe use Ajinomotto or MSG chemically known as Mono Sodium Glutamate to enhance flavour of their Cuisine. It is a taste maker which also makes one addictive to that particular stuff. If regularly consumed it may lead to serious health hazards. Some of them are discussed below.
- Affects Immune system : MSG itself is not an allergen but affects immune response by stimulating it or causing damage to the Nervous system.
- Damage Brain : MSG in high doses cross the BBB (Blood Brain Barrier) and damage the Brain cells. Recent study also claims that regualr intake of MSG linked to Alzheimers and even genetic mutations.
- Thyroid dysfunction : MSG have a direct action on Hypothalamus which in turn affects Pituitary and Thyroid gland.
- Diabetes Mellitus : Excess MSG may over stimulate Pancreas and lead to Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Nervous system : Over stimulate Nervous system and damage myelin sheath leading to disorders like Multiple sclerosis.
- Loss of Vision : Damage Retina and loss of vision may occur due to over dose of MSG.
- Breathing Problems, Asthma
- Fluctuations in BP : Either too low or very high BP may be seen as a side effect.
- Cardiac problems like Palpitation, Irregular Heart Beat, Cardiac Arrhythmia etc.
- Gastric upsets like Vomiting, Diaarhoea, Irritable Bowel Syndrome etc.
- Cancer, Tumours
To avoid all these health issues one of the best ways is – Say No To MSG. Before purchasing any eatables check the ingredients if any added MSG present. If you are dining out, enquire the chef about the food and ask them to avoid this stuff in your menu. It may make your food a bit less tasty but will be safe. Prevention is better than cure, its for you and your loved ones.
Take Care & Stay Fit