Plant name : Seenthil or Amrithavalli
“A complete tonic for body that is an Amrutham in real sense”
Botanical name : Tinospora cordifolia
Family : Menispermaceae
Actions : Aphrodisiac, Anti-diabetic, Alterative, Anti-rheumatic, Anti-inflammatory, Anti-pyretic.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- For Diabetes, the samoolam or the whole plant is crushed and juice is extracted. 2 to 3 ounce of this juice is given 3 times daily before food and it is a very effective remedy to control the glucose level.
- The leaves are baked in fire and applied externally over the ulcers.
- The decoction prepared by the samoolam is an effective remedy for fever. For better results parpadakam, chandanam, chukku, koraikizhangu can be used for preparation of this decoction.
- An effective Siddha preparation called Seenthil sarkarai or Seenthil uppu is a very effective remedy for venereal diseases, diabetes, skin diseases, spleenomegally, jaundice, cough etc.
- Seethil leghyam is an effective remedy for suram (fever), diarrhoea, venereal diseases etc.
- The juice of this plant is recomended daily in the case of AIDS. Research work on this plant has proved that it increases the immunity and defence mechanism against the retro virus and increases the lifespan of the patient.
- For rheumatic complaints like Rheumatoid arthritis, 20 to 30 ml of the juice of this plant is advised twice daily.
- Seenthil choornam and Seethil uppu is found to bring excellent results in the condtions like chronic skin ailments, bone disorders and infertility.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.