Plant name : Vasambu
“Otherwise known as ‘Pillai marunthu’ which means Pediatric medicine”
Botanical name : Acorus calamus
Family : Araceae
Actions : Stomachic, Carminative, Anti-periodic, Disinfectant.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- The powder of vasambu is mixed with honey and given internally for fitz. During this treatment if only milk is given internally then the results will be more effective.
- The decoction prepared from vasambu and athimathuram is given for pediatric ailments like cough, fever pain in the abdomen etc.
- The rhizome is burnt and the ashes are mixed with coconut oil and applied over the lower abdomen for flatulance.
- To prevent epilepsy in children this rhizome is prepared as an amulet and tied in the body of the child preferably waist.
- Traditionally the new born child is given a mixture of nine medicines mixed with honey and gold for as many days as possible. One of the key ingredient is vasambu and the main intention to give this medicine is proper brain development, speech ability, better visual power, increased seminal power, brings beauty and neutralises any toxicities in our body.
- The powder of this rhizome if consumed daily in the dose of 100 to 700 mg is very beneficial for strengthening the nervous system. It should be noted that a dose above 1 gram may lead to vomitting.
- Vasambu, kayam, athividayam, chukku, milagu thipplili and kadukkai thol is powdered and mixed in equal amount. This is given in the dose of 1 – 2 grams for indigestion, diarrhoea due to indigestion, flatulence etc.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.