Cervical Spondylosis is a degenerative disease affecting cervical spine leading to degeneration and protrution of Intervertibral disc and Oesteophytic changes in the vertibrae. There is narrowing of cervical canal resulting the compression of nerve root or cord. The most frequently involved levels or segments are C5-6, C6-7 and C4-5 which are the mobile segments. According to Siddha, this disease is compared to one among the 80 types of vatha diseases as per Yugimuni, known as Sagana Vatham.
Signs & Symptoms includes
- Pain & Tenderness is present in the cervical region radiating to shoulder, arm, forearm and fingers. It worsens with movement or straining.
- Headache is a typical sypmptom of this disease. Usually headache is persistant through out the day commonly located in Occiput region radiating towards the frontal area.
- Patient usually complaints of giddiness, neck stiffness pain on rotating the neck, swelling in the neck and arm. some times a tingling or electric shock like feeling in the limbs or on the back is felt during flexion of neck.
- Sometimes like burning sensation of the eyes, blurring vision and tinnitus may also be associated with this.
Plain X Ray of cervical spine is enough for diagnosing this condition. Reduction of intervertibral disc space, loss of normal curvature of spine, Oesteophytic changes may be visualised in the X Ray. CT Scan and MRI are other better diagnostic methods.
Treatment in Allopathy
Usually Analgesics, NSAIDs are given by the Physician. Later Physiotherapy, Cervical traction are advised. Surgery is also considered if patient does not respond to usual treatment protocol.
Siddha Medicine & Treatment
This disease is one among Vatha diseases so initially derranged Vatham has to be normalised. For this, prescription of purgatives or laxatives are prescribed according to one’s body and Naadi type.
Then Internal Medicines are administered accordingly. Thokkanam or Physical manipulation techniques like oil massage, Kizhi or Formentation, Steam bath or Vedhu are effective. Patient are advised few exercises invoving neck, spine and arm. Yogasanas and Pranayama are effective.
Agasthiyar Kuzhambu, Kowsiyar kuzhambu, Megha natha kuligai, Vellai ennai, Vatha nasa thylam etc are various purgative drugs. These drugs are given in empty stomach in their proper dose and prescribed according to the diseases condition, age, body etc.
After purgation, internal medicines are administered
Medicines like Nilavembu Kudineer, Trikadugu choornam, Amukkara choornam, Vathanthaka choornam, Vathamadakki tablet, Vatharakshasan tablet, Rasagendhi mezhugu, Chandamarutha chendooram, Arumugha chendooram etc are useful and effective.
Massage with Ulunthu thailam, Valiya Kayathirumeni ennai, Vatha kodali thylam, Vatha kesari ennai etc is administered followed by steam bath or formentation ( Ela Kizhi, Naranga Kizhi, Nyavara kizhi etc)
Yogasanas like Bhujangasanam, Salapasanam, Dhanurasanam, Ayamachayendrasanam, Trigonasanam etc are helpful. Certain asanas like Sarvangasanam, Halasanam, Sirsasanam should be avoided for patients suffering from this complaint.
- Vatha related food like tubers, fermented food etc should be avoided.
- Cold exposure avoided
- Yoga, Pranayama, neck exercises should be done.
Note : Siddha Treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.