Plant name : Perugilai or Siruthekku
“A Siddha Herbal remedy for Diarrhoea, Rheumatic complaints, Fever, Skin ailments etc.”
Botanical name : Clerodendrum infortunatum
Family : Verbenaceae
Actions : Anti-diarrhoeal, Hepato-protective, Anti-rheumatic, Anti-microbial.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- The roots and bark of stem of this plant prepared as decoction and given in the dose of 60-80 ml twice daily for respiratory diseases, fever, periodic fever, cough, bronchial asthma etc.
- The powder of the roots is given along with Trikadugu choornam with honey for Bronchial asthma.
- The leaves are ground well and applied externally to induce ripenning of ulcers and swellings.
- A Siddha formula prepared with this plant along with some other raw drugs and medicinal herbs is very effective for all types of fever.
- A paste of leaves and roots are applied externally over skin diseases especially fungal infections and Alopecia.
- Fresh leaves are given in diarrhoea as well as Liver dissorders.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.