Plant name : Manjal
“Provides beauty and complexion to the body!
Very effective remedy for many ailments even cancer!”
Botanical name : Curcuma longa
Family : Zingiberaceae
Actions : Anti-inflammatory, Hepatoprotective, Anti-tumour, Carminative, Blood-purifier, Antioxidant.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- The rhizome of this plant can be powdered after drying and taken internally as well as used as bath powder regularly. This will give beauty and shine to the body.
- Fresh turmeric or Manjal along with Korai kizhangu is ground without using water and externally applied over the body for karappan (Ezcema).
- For fungal infections of nail due to Taenia, this rhizome is ground along with neem oil and applied over the infected area.
- People who start their day with a glass of milk can include a pinch of manjal or turmeric powder in the drink. This is a very good Anti-oxidant as well as a blood purifier. For asthma patients, if a pinch of pepper powder is also added to this.
- A paste of turmeric can be applied over ulcers.
- Manjal along with Adathodai leaves is ground with cows urine and applied extrnally over skin diseases like scabies etc.
- Fresh manjal paste can be applied over insect bite, ulcers etc.
- Regular intake of manjal or manjal containing water is very effective tonic for the liver.
- The fruits like grapes which contain pesticide can be soaked in a vessel containing water and turmeric powder for 1 hour. Here turmeric acts as a detoxifying agent and neutralises the bad effects of pesticide.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.