Miracle Herb Turmeric or Manjal – “Golden Goddess”
Known as Haldi in Hindi, Turmeric in English and Manjal in Tamil, Haridra in sanskrit meaning ‘the yellow one’, this of the most special medicinal herb in the world enriched with detox properties, when added to food neutralizes toxins and provides various health benefits. Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory, analgesic, alterative, anti-bacterial, anti-cancer, anti-allergic, anti-oxidant, antiseptic, anti- spasmodic, astringent, carminative, digestive, stimulant etc.
Medicinally it has been used in alternative medicines in large scale to treat most serious and widely afflicting ailments like Arthritis, Cancer, Diabetes, Multiple sclerosis, Atherosclerosis, Inflammatory Bowel Disorder, Kidney infections, Liver diseases, Food poisoning, Respiratory ailments, Gastro- intestinal ailments, insect bites, Ulcers and Wounds etc. It is used as both- internal and external medicine.
Botanical Name : Curcuma-longa Some of herbal folk remedies from Turmeric are listed below:
Traditionally the dried powder of the rhizome of this plant is used as an external bath powder to enhance beauty and shine of the body.
- For eczema and skin infections, fresh turmeric is ground along with Korai kzhangu (Cyperus rotundus ) and applied externally over the affected area.
- For sinusitis the dried rhizome is burnt and smoke is inhaled through each nostril 2-3 times daily for best results.
- Regular use of turmeric reduces onset of Alzheimer’s. It also helps in managing inflammatory diseases like Arthritis and Ulcerative Colitis.
- ‘Curcumin’, the powerful antioxidant in turmeric helps to prevent Cancer. It neutralises substances and conditions causing cancer. Helps the cell to reatain its integrity protecting it from the threats of cancer causing substances or carcinogens. Inhibits enzyme ‘topoisomerase’ which causes replication of cancer cells. Also blocks enzyme Cyclooxygenase or COX2 which activates carcinogens.’Curcumin’ is a rich antioxidant that fight free radicals causing Cancer.
- Turmeric boiled in milk and sugar is a traditional remedy that helps soothening throat, treat respiratory ailments.
- Turmeric is one of key medicines used for treating Vatha ailments or Arthritis, Diabetes, Digestive problems. Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory herb. Helps to decrease pain. According to studies, turmeric is a potent inhibitor of enzymes like Cylo oxygenase 5, Lipo oxygenase etc which means that less PG2 or potent lipids that produces pain in body. Hence it is used in treatment of Arthritis and pain management. Turmeric has ANti-glycemic properties that helps tio maintain proper functuning of pancreas, regulate and balance insulin levels, lower sugar and triglyceride levels and helpful in managing Diabetes Mellitus. Nisa- Amalaki capsules containg equal proportion of turmeric and Indian gooseberry is an effective remedy against Diabetes. Turmeric increases intestinal flora and aids digestion. Helps to decrease gas production in abdomen and distension.
- Regular intake aids in weight loss, enhances beauty and shine of the body.
- Taking pregnancy during late pregnancy along with milk ensures a child with beautiful skin. Turmeric is also analgesic and reduces pain during child birth. After delivery turmeric is given to expel lochia and waste out of the uterus. It regulates bleeding, acts as an antiseptic for quick healing of scar. It purifies the blood and internal organs.
- People suffering from weak bones or osteoporosis are recommended to consume milk added with turmeric before going to bed daily..
- Excessive use of drugs and alcohol may tax the liver causing liver ailments. Studies shows curcumin restores liver cells, destroys toxins in the liver. It also blocks harmful effects of smoking to large extent.
Our mother nature is gifted with such wonderful and miracle herbs when can be easily cultivated and used, Our grandmothers and mothers used to spend days in collecting them, cleaning, drying in sun, powdering and preserving them in big containers at homes. But today time has changed, nobody is bothered in doing all these, they directly buy them from stores and supermarkets. However turmeric available in market may be adulterated using cheap fabric and dyes which may make the food toxic and harmful. Commonly used chemical adulterant of turmeric is Lead Chromate. Increased intake of such adulterated turmeric may lead to Anemia, Aborion, Brain damage paralysis etc. People walking around big supermarkets may grab turmeric packed in attractive branded packs. These brands are popular in ads and claim to contain pure turmeric. Thinking about the high brand and good quality of packing people fail to understand that what they have paid and bought is not turmeric but harmful chemical which is harmful for their health.
Adulteration of turmeric is a serious problem. Public should be made aware about such issues as they may be putting their own health at risk without knowing the consequences and hazards of long term use of such chemicals. Kindly buy organic turmeric from trusted grocery shops, get it powdered at home or nearby mills. Though it may consume time and manpower but after all its for you and your family’s health. Know your food, keep fit and Stay Healthy.