Plant name : Mudakkatran or Uzhinjha
“This medicinal plant act against arthritis, inflammations, constipation and abdominal discomfort”
Botanical name : Cardiospermum halicacabum
Family : Sapindaceae
Actions : Anti-vatha, Analgesic, Diuretic, Laxative, Stomachic, Anti-inflammatory.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- The oil prepared from the leaves acts as a very effective external application for arthritis and other painful conditions of the body.
- 2 to 3 drops of juice of the leaves can be used as a ear drops for ear ache, purulent discharge from ears.
- The decoction prepared from the roots can be given for haemorrhoids.
- The leaves can be crushed well, ground and applied over the lower abdomen of the delivered woman. This helps in expulsion of waste products out of the uterus.
- The decoction prepared from the samoolam or whole plant can be given in the dose of 20 to 30 ml for constipation and abdominal discomfort.
- For Anda vatham or (hydrocele) the leaves can be applied as an external paste over the scrotum.
- For any inflammation, the leaves cooked in castor oil is ground and applied over the affected areas.
- For dandruff, the leaves are soaked in water and then crushed well. This water is used in cleaning the hairs. The oil prepared from the paste of the leaves and gingilly oil can be used as a hair tonic and cure for dandruff.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.