Medically termed as Miliaria rubra, this condition is defined as irritation of skin due to obstruction of sweat glands in the prickle layer of skin. It usually appears on the back, chest, armpits, groin or waist line characterized with numerous tiny swellings in the body associated with burning sensation, prickling and itching. Usually occurs in summer season due to over sweating. Overweight people are more prone to it. Bacterial infection may be a triggering factor. Babies are commonly affected due to underdeveloped sweat glands.
How to get rid of Prickle heat :
- Drink plenty of water. Jeera water is the best to take as it will cool the body.
- Keep your skin dry always. Avoid harsh soaps.
- Make a paste of jeera( cumin seeds) with coconut milk, apply over affected area. Leave for 25 minutes. Take bath
- A paste of pulp of cucumber or papaya can be applied over the affected area, after half an hour bath can be taken.
- Applying a paste of sandalwood or fuller’s earth (multanimitti) with rose water can be applied. After the paste gets properly dried, it can be washed off.
- Drink tender coconut water regularly.
- Eat water containing fruits and veggies like watermelon, cucumber, pumpkin etc.
- Juice of amla or lemon should be taken daily till the problem gets over.
- Pulp of Aloe vera can be applied over the affected area twice or thrice a day.
- Bath twice or thrice a day. Avid skin lotions. Take bath with herbal powders like green chick pea powder or neem leaves paste etc.
- Avoid tight clothes. Use prickly heat powder if needed to keep the skin dry.
- Avoid hot potency and spicy foods.
It is one of the problems majority of people are suffering especially in scorching summer. Itching is very prominent so it effects the life and work both. If not treated in time, it may produce secondary infection. If the problem persist for long or aggravate even after proper care and precautions, consult your doctor immediately. Take care.