A very common tree widely grown across India. All the parts of this tree is useful either as nutritional or Medicinal purpose. This tree has small leaves, white flowers and seed pods which are long, slender and triangular resembling drumsticks so this tree is also known as Drumsticks in English. In Hindi it is known as Sahjan or Munga. In Tamil, known as Murungai and in Malayalam known as Murunga. For cooking, usually leaves, flowers and Pods are used. They possess miraculous Health Benefits. Bark and Roots are used in traditional medicines.
Leaves can be cooked same as like Spinach and taken along with meals. Leaves are helpful in treating Vatham and Kapha problems.
Leaves contain :
- 4 times more Vitamin A than Carrot
- 4 times more Calcium than Milk
- 2 times more Iron than Spinach
- 7 Times more Vitamin C than Oranges
- 3 times more Potassium than Banana
- 2 Times more protein than Eggs and Yogurt
Leaves are also rich in copper, manganese, zinc, selenium, and magnesium,folates, vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine), thiamin (vitamin B-1), riboflavin, pantothenic acid, and niacin. It contains 0% cholesterol.
It gives following health benefits :
- Very helpful in management of Cardiac diseases. It contains 0% cholesterol and also beneficial for patients suffering from Hypertention.
- Taking leaves regularly as a part of diet reduces chances of cancer to 80%. It is also recommended as a diet of Cancer patients for healthy and quick healing.
- Rich in Beta-carotene and Vitamin A, it improves Eye vision and also prevent Ageing Macular Degeneration.
- It should be included in diet chart of Diabetics as beneficial in managing Sugar level.
- Soup prepared from leaves is helpful in treating Menstrual cramps.
- Cooked leaves if taken daily for 3 weeks removes or flushes out all the toxins from the body. It also improves immunity.
- Leaf paste gently fried in castor oil can be applied over inflammations and swellings.
- Rich in Calcium, very good to improve bone density. To improve bone health of kids, about 1 teaspoon of leaf juice should be mixed with milk and given twice daily.
- Leaf juice with lemon juice can be mixed and applied over face to overcome black heads and acne.
- Pregnant ladies should be given cooked leaves especially in last trimester for easy delivery.It also reduces post delivery complication and increases milk secretion in lactating women.
- Zinc in drumstick leaves plays vital role in hair-growth, spermatogenesis, and skin health.
Seed Pods :
Immature seed pods are cooked and taken as food. It contains 0% cholesterol and very low fat but rich in dietery fibre,protein, energy, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Folate, Sodium, Pottasium, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Selenium, and Zinc.
- Taking soup prepared from drumstick pods help in treating diseases of liver, spleen, paralysis etc.
- Rich in dietery fibre so consuming pods aids digestion.
- Soup of drumstick seeds also acts as aphrodisiac. In Siddha, medicine prepared from drumstick seeds are helpful in treating male impotency.
- Taking seed pod in diet is good for bones, heart, skin, hairs and internal organs.
Soup of flower is a good aphrodisiac. It can also be cooked and taken.
Flowers contain Vitamin B, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin C, Vitamin A in abundance.
- As traditional medicine, roots are used as gargle for painful gums and throat problems.
- Roots are ground into paste and applied over glandular swellings.
Bark powder is used in treatment of Epilepsy.
Enriched with so many nutrients, low in fat and no cholesterol, Drumstick leaves, flowers and pods is healthy for all. Include this miraculous food in your diet.
“Eat Drumstick & Stay Healthy.”