Plant name : Amukkura kizhangu
“A Kayakarpam and general tonic to the body”
Botanical name : Withania somnifera
Family : Solanaceae
Actions : Anti-inflamatory, Aphrodisiac, Alterative, General Tonic.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- The choornam or powder of root of this plant is given in dose of 5 to 10 grams in emaciated individuals for about 15 days.This medicine acts as a tonic for them and very helpful for them for gaining weight.
- The choornam of the root is very effective for the growth of children.
- For insomnia and stress the choornam can be given with honey or ghee.
- A glass of milk is advised along with the chooranam. This medicine is also a potent aphrodisiac and helpful in curing infertility in males.
- The regular use of this drug as chooranam is very helpful in preventing heart diseases like Angina Pectoris, MI etc.
- This medicine is recently proved as an excellent result in controlling AIDS by improving the immune system.
- The green stem of Amukkuram along with cows urine is ground and applied externally over Kandamalai (cervical adenitis), Veekkam (swellings), lumbar pain, Kranthi (ulcers).
- Amukkura along with chukku or dried ginger is applied over areas of swellings.
- Amukkura root is ground well and applied over swollen knees in Osteoarthritis.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.
Note: The dose should be given according to Age and condition.