Plant name : Sivanmelpodi
“The root of this plant looks similar to a snake. Medicinally important too”.
Botanical name : Rauvolfia serpentina
Family : Apocynaceae
Actions : Anti-hypertensive, Styptic, Nervine-tonic, Abortifacient.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- For Hypertension and its associated symptoms like Headache and Giddiness, 1/2 to 1 gram of the powder of the root can be given along with equal amount of Triphala powder twice a day. The dose can be increased to three times a day if the symptoms are agrevated.
- The roots of this plant is given in the dose 1/2 to 1 gram three times a day for Hypertension along with specific Diuretics, so as to avoid the Fluid retention which occurs when the drug is given alone.
- For Ammenorrhoea, Oligomenrrhoea, Dysmenorrhoea like Menstrual abnormalities, 1 gram of root powder of this plant along with 1 gram of powder of Piper cubeba can be given twice a day along with milk. Pregnant ladies should avoid this drug as it may lead to abortion.
- For snake bites a combination of this root powder, Piper cubeba and salt can be externally applied over the bitten area as well as internally given. It can also be administered for Scorpion bite too.
- Hysteria in ladies, Epilepsy can be treated well by administering equal amount of the root powder and powder of Nardostachys jatamanji.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.