Most of us have experienced the symptoms of food poisoning after consuming hotel/street food. Food poisoning is caused by unhygienic food contaminated with bacteria, virus or other toxins. Symptoms like Abdominal pain, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, headache sweating, fatigue, fever etc. Top five natural home remedies to treat food poisoning.
- Lemon : Enriched with Anti inflammatory, antibacterial and Antiviral properties, Lemon is one of the best, affordable and easily available herb that can be taken against Food poisoning. Drinking lime juice two to three times may help to ease the symptoms of food poisoning and also detoxify the body.
- Ginger : One of the best herbs to relieve pain, inflammation and infection. Can be taken as juice or mixed in lime water twice or thrice.
- Cumin seeds : Cumin seeds is Anti pitha agent, relieves gas, improves digestive fire, reduces inflammation of gut and fights intestinal infections. Can be added to soups and gruels. Also consumed after boiling with drinking water (jeera water). Drinking jeera water during food poisoning helps in quick recovery.
- Basil leaves : Half to one teaspoon of basil/tulsi leaves juice can be taken three to four times. Otherwise five to six leaves can be added to boiled water, after ten minutes, strained and consumed five to six times a day. Tulsi has Anti inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral and anti fungal.
- Fenugreek seeds : Half teaspoon of fenugeek seeds can be dry fried, powdered and mixed with with buttermilk and consumed. Good remedy against diarrhoea, abdominal cramps, intestinal infections. Fenugreek is Antibacterial and Antimicrobial in nature.
During Food Poisoning, drink plenty of water throughout the day. Avoid other sweetened beverages, coloured or flavoured drinks, aerated drinks, soda etc. This will help to prevent dehydration and other related problems. Avoid consuming solid foods, milk products like cheese, butter, ghee etc, Maida, spicy foods, fried foods, caffeine etc. Soon after symptoms start, consume only liquid foods like soups, gruels and above said herbs for 24 hours. During illness take plenty of rest and and sleep which will help the body to recover fast. Avoid strenuous work, travelling etc. The above said remedies can effectively help during food poisoning and other abdominal complaints too. However if the symptoms are not getting manageable or if it persists more than two days visit a doctor immediately. Regular consumption of these herbs may also prevent against common abdominal problems and health issues.