Plant name : Moongil
“Moongil uppu obtained from this wild grass is a well known Siddha Medicine used in Kapha diseases.”
Botanical name : Bambusa bambos
Family : Poaceae
Actions : Emmenagogue, Aphrodosiac, Tonic, Expectorant.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- A Siddha Medicine called Moongil uppu is an extract obtained from this grass mixed along with piper longum, cardamom, clove and jaggery. This mixture is given internaly in the dose of 2 to 4 grams for inflammation, kapha noi, bronchial ailments etc.
- The dried roots are powdered and prepared into paste with water and externally applied over pruritis, scabies etc.
- The tender leaves or buds are crushed well, prepared as decoction and given in the dose of 40 to 60 ml to releive menstrual irregularities.
- The ash of burnt root is applied over fungal infections like ring worm, painful joints etc.
- The decoction prepared from tender buds is helpful in conditions like leucorrhoea, fever, and diarrhoea in children.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.