Plant name : Vellai ummathai
“A herbal remedy for Rabid bite”
Botanical name : Datura metel
Family : Solanaceae
Actions : Anti-spasmodic, Anodyne, Emetic, Anti-inflammatory.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- The oil prepared by boiling the leaves, purified copper sulphate and coconut oil is called Mathan thailam which is very effective external application for ulcers, chronic ulcers, carbuncles, tumours etc.
- The seeds are ground with cows ghee and applied over the external pile mass.
- The leaves are dried and given in dose of 30-100 mg for bronchial asthma.
- The leaves are fried or heated and used for formentation in case of arthritis,swellings etc.
- The leaves along with rice paste and prepared as kali by baking. This is externally applied over swellings of bones and joints, painful swellings of body,extenal pile mass, and condition like neuro-fibromatosis.
- The leaf juice,1-2 drops is externally applied as ear drops for ear ache, and also be massaged over swellings.
- During dysmenorrhoea, the leaves are boiled well in water and this is used to give formentation over the navel region and lower abdomen.
- The juice of the fruit is applied over head for dandruff and hairfall.
- This is used as an antidote for rabid dog bite.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.