Plant name : Kottai Karanthai or Adakkamaniyan
“This Medicinal herb cures Leucorrhoea, Skin complaints, Abdominal and Respiratory ailments.”
Botanical name : Sphaeranthus indicus
Family : Compositae
Actions : Depurative, Stomachic, Refrigerant, Anthelmintic.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- The leaves are dried in shade, powdered and given in the dose of 1 – 2 grams twice daily for skin ailments.
- The powdered flowers when given in the dose 1 gram twice daily provides coolness to the body and also acts as a tonic.
- Powdered roots are useful in expulsion of intestinal worms.
- Powdered seeds are given for Gastro-intestinal and Respiratory disorders.
- The root bark is ground well and given along with butter milk for bleeding piles, menorrhagia. – Dose 1 – 3 grams twice daily.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.