Experts advice minimum 8 hours of sleep for a healthy body and sound mind. A person suffering from insomnia or sleeplessness may be both physically and mentally weak. Insomnia is a condition when person may not be able to fall asleep normally. He may have disturbed or frequent breaks during sleep. Insomnia affects people of all age groups.
Causes of Insomnia :
- Increased stress
- Increased intake of caffeine
- Hormone fluctuations
- Medical conditions like brain lesions, Acid reflux, Asthma, Parkinson disease, Arthritis, Alzheimers, Hyperthyroidism etc
Insomnia may lead to :
- Anger, Depression and Anxiety
- Poor Immune system
- Brain disorders like Dementia, Alzheimers
- Stress and Heart diseases
- Cancer etc
For a good night sleep :
- Follow trhe same regular bed time routine.
- Try to go to the bed by 10-11 PM and rise early next morning.
- Avoid watching TV or using electronic gadgets like mobile just before sleep.
- Keep the bed room dark and noise free.
- Avoid eating or exercise just before going to bed.
- Exercise regularly every morning for 15-20 minutes.
- Have a glass of milk or banana in the evening as they contain sleeping hormones.
- Avoid day sleep.
- Avoid alcohol, smoking and addictives like caffiene, nicotine etc especially before bed time.
Benefits of Good Night Sleep :
- Reduce stress
- Prevents cancer
- Keep heart healthy
- Keeps one active and alert during the day
- Boosts memory
- Repairs cellular and tissue damage
Every year, 3rd Friday of March is observed as World Sleep day to help prevention and management of sleep disorders. If each one of us realise the importance and necessity of basic requirements like sleep, we can help prevent many life style ailments affecting our day to day life. Make sure you sleep well every night to ensure a perfect morning next day essential for a successful family and proffessional life. Spread this message too. Keep healthy and stay fit.