Plant name : Neermaruthu
“Used in Siddha to treat Hypertension, Heart diseases, Hypercholestrolemia & Bone problems”.
Botanical name : Terminalia arjuna
Family : Combretaceae
Actions : Astringent, Coolant, Cardiac Tonic
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- Bark of this tree is used as decoction, powder or capsule for conditions like heart failure, irregular heart beat and coronary artery disease. 15 grams of bark powder is boiled in 120 ml of water and reduce to 30 ml. Freshly prepared decoction (30 ml) administered twice daily for heart disease, pain and swelling. It strengthens heart and helps in relieving hardening of arteries. If bark used 3 – 6 grams is administered twice or thrice daily for the above complaints.
- Decoction or bark powder is an excellent remedy against Hypertension. Symptoms like giddiness, Insomnia, Head ache, inability to concentrate due to Hypertension can be treated well. Presence of co-enzyme Q 10 helps to lower BP.
- Bark paste can be applied on local burns and wounds.
- The bark has Hypolipidemic properties hence lowers cholesterol, increases HDL and lowers LDL.
- Bark powder or decoction of the bark is given for bone setting in fracture conditions.
Note : Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.