Plant name : Karisalai provides “Protection for the liver, karpam for the body and tonic for the hair”
Botanical name : Eclipta alba
Family : Compositae
Actions : Deobstruent, Febrifuge, Tonic, Hepato-protective.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- The leaves are ground and prepared into a karkam and mixed with the leaf juice of this plant. It is then added into gingelly oil and boiled to proper patham or state and the oil is extracted. This oil is applied daily over the head and is helpful to cure hair loss, body pain and diminision of vision.
- The samoolam of this plant is ground and the juice from it is given in the dose of 20-30 ml daily twice for hepatomegally, spleenomegally, indigestion, jaundice etc.
- The powder of the root is given internally in the dose of 5 gram daily for diseases of liver, spleen and skin diseases.
- The leaves are ground well and the karkam prepared from it is rubbed well and tied as a bandage over the site of scorpion bite.
- The steam coming from the leaves with boiling water is exposed over pile mass.
- The leaves are ground with gingelly oil and applied over the inflammed limb due to filariasis.
- For heamaturia, the leaf juice in the dose of 5-15 ml is given daily twice a day.
- The 2-3 drops of leaf juice is mixed with equal quantity of honey and given internally to infants for common cold.
- The choornam of samoolam of this plant is given as an adjuvant with Aya chendooram is a very effective remedy for aneamia, dropsy and jaundice.
- For intestinal worms one ounce of castor oil is mixed with 1/2 ounce of karisalai juice is given internally early morning or alternate days.
- Samoolam of this plant is made into choornam and 2-5 grams of this is given internally for one month with tender coconut water and second month with honey. This medicine is a kayakarpam.
Manjal kayyonni (Yellow variety)
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.