Plant name : Neerbrahmi or Brahmi
“This herb is a well known nervine tonic as well as brain enhancer”
Botanical name : Bacopa monnieri
Family : Scrophulariaceae
Actions : Nervine tonic, Anti-spasmodic, Sedative, Diuretic.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- The dried powder of this plant is given in the dose of 5-10 grams is given as brain enhancer, and kayakarpam.
- The leaves are dried and given along with milk for psychological disturbance and memory loss, mental retardation in small children and neonatal jaundice.
- The juice of the leaves are boiled along with ghee (Brahmi nei) and given for epilepsy, sour belching etc.
- The leaves are used along with oil as an external application for arthritis.
- The juice of the leaves is fried along with castor oil and used to give fomentation as well as applied as a paste over the swellings and arthritis.
- The leaves are applied as paste over the affected areas due to Gonococcal arthritis. With regular application of this paste the swelling and redness will get reduced.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.