Plant name : Thaneervittan or Sathavari
otherwise called “Dashaveeryam” or 100 times potent medicinal herb.
Botanical name : Asparagus racemosus
Family : Asparagaceae
Actions : Galactagogue, Aphrodisiac, Anti-spasmodic, Anti-allergic, Nutritive, Demulcent.
Siddha medicinal uses :
- The baked leaves along with ghee is externally applied over small abscess.
- The leaf juice together with milk is given internally to reduce the body heat and cure problems like leucorrhoea.
- The kizhangu or tuber of this plant is crushed and about 15 to 20 ml of juice is extracted which is mixed with equal amount of water and given internally for heartburn, burning sensation in abdomen etc.
- For increasing the breast milk after delivery, the juice of the tuber is internally given with milk or ghee.
- The burning sensation produced in the sole of the foot can be cured by externally applying the juice of the tuber along with ramacham powder.
- The juice of the tuber along with sugar or honey is given for jaundice, hypertension, menorrhagia, leucorrhoea.
- The tuber is baked in milk and taken internally for diarrhoea due to indigestion, increase heat conditions of the body.
- One part of the juice of the tuber along with two parts of butter and nine parts of milk is prepared into a waxy consistency and mixed together with jaggery, honey and piper longum and given internally to increase the sexual potency, cure infertility etc.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.