Plant name : Kovai
“A medicinal plant with cool potency. Good for fever, skin diseases and diabetes”
Botanical name : Coccinia cordifolia
Family : Cucurbitaceae
Actions : Anti-spasmodic, Anti-periodic, Expectorant.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- The leaf paste is applied over the body inorder to induce perspiration for fever condition.
- The leaves are soaked in coconut oil and placed in the sun for three days. This oil is applied over fungal infections scabies and other skin manifestations.
- The leaves along with butter is ground and applied over scabies.
- Tender fruits are taken raw, maunched well and expelled out for aphthous ulcers.
- Fruits are taken raw or as a part of food in fever conditions.
- The juice of the root is given in the dose of five to fifteen ml two times a day for diabetes. It can also be administered as a adjuvant for medicines of diabetes.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.