Plant name : Nochi
“This herb is the best to bring the aggrevated vatham or vali humour of the body to normal”
Botanical name : Vitex negundo
Family : Verbenaceae
Actions : Anti-inflammatory, Vermifuge, Alterative, Astringent.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- The leaves are made into small pieces tied in bundles or kizhi, heated and used for fomentation or ottradam in swellings, arthritis and pain all over the body due to increased vatham etc.
- 20-30 grams of leaf juice along with the same quantity of cows urine is mixed and given early morning for spleenomegally. Also the leaf paste is externally applied over the inflammed spleen area.
- The decoction of the root is given for vatha diseases, burning sensation of urethra, abdominal pain, intestinal worms etc.
- The leaf juice is prepared as oil and applied over the head for the inflammation around the neck.
- For head ache, sinusitis the leaves are used to prepare a pillow and is proved to be very effective for these conditions.
- The leaves are put in water, boiled and used for steam inhalation, perspiration occurs and this is an effective remedy for fever and body pain due to derrangement of vatham.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.