Plant Name : Nilappanai
“A Siddha medicinal herb used as Tonic, Diuretic, Aphrodisiac etc.”
Botanical name : Curculigo orchioides
Family : Amaryllidaceae
Actions : Tonic, Diuretic, Aphrodisiac and Carminative
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- The root of this plant is dried and powdered and given in the dose of 3 to 8 grams with honey, milk or jaggery twice a day for leucorrhoea in ladies, burning sensation of urine and loss of libido particularly in males.
- Nilappanai is an Aphrodisiac so its root powder can be given along with the powders of Poonaikali (Mucuna pruriens), Amukkuram (Withania somnifera), Nerunjil (Tribulus terestris), Nellivatral and jaggery for more effective results in the dose of 3 to 8 grams with milk to cure sterility and loss of libido.
- The decoction of the leaves is helpful in Bronchial ailments and cough as an immune modulator.
- 3 to 8 grams of root powder is given with milk as a treatment of jaundice.
- The dried rhizome is a Tonic to the body and also provides immunity and protection against various diseases.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.