Plant name : Kichchili kizhangu
“An ever green medicinal plant which is aromatic, and has high medicinal value”
Botanical name : Kaempferia galanga
Family : Zingiberaceae
Actions : Carminative, Expectorant, Diuretic, Stimulant, Alterative, Aromatic.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- For prolonged cough and cold, the dried tuber is powdered and given in the dose of 3 – 6 grams twice or thrice a day.
- The tuber is ground and prepared as oil and used for nasiyam in diseases like sinusitis, diseases pertraining to nose and head.
- For indigestion, piles, skin diseases, fitz and jaundice the decoction of the tuber and its powder is also affected.
- The tuber can be ground with borax and applied over bruise and injuries.
- The dried powder is one of the ingredient of nalanguma, an aromatic Siddha medicinal bath powder which gives coolness to the body.
- The powdered tuber is also effective for vatha diseases and halitosis or bad breath from the mouth.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.