Liver is one of the most important organ of out body. This organ plays a major role in metabolic activities of the body as well as it is the main detoxifier. It cleanses the systems not only environmental toxins but metabolic wastes too. Here are few herbs in Siddha medicine which helps to protect the Liver and keep away liver ailments. Take a look on these wonderful Liver tonics
- Phyllanthus amarus – (Keezhanelli, Bhoomiamalaki) The important constituents of this plant are bioflavinoids, alkaloids, lignans like hypophyllanthine and phyllanthine. These compounds helps to maintain liver health and also treats liver disorders. For treating Hepatitis A,B and C this plant is a known Siddha Medicine.
Other Uses in Siddha Treatment of Diabetes, Kidney stones, Skin Diseases, Sexually transmitted diseases, Urnary complaints
- Eclipta prostrata – (Karisalai, Bringaraj) Excellent Hepatotnic. This plant helps to treat Hepatomegaly(Swelling of Liver). It also normalises the digestive fire. It improves the overall health of Liver and Spleen. ‘Wedalolactone’ is a constituent which helps in the treatment of Hepatitis and Cirrhosis of Liver. According to a study, the leaves of this plant has high efficacy to treat hepatotoxic (Liver toxic) response due to overdose of drugs like Paracetamol
Other Uses in Siddha Used in the treatment of Anaemia, Kidney problems, Hair loss, Oseophagitis, Digestive probelms etc
- Curcuma longa (Turmeric, Manjal) or turmeric is a well known herb for promoting liver health. Turmeric detoxifies liver by removing excess toxins. It heps to manage liver damage due to alcohol or any other cause. It also improves digestion. ‘Curcumin’ present in turmeric blocks the COX2 enzymes that the inflammatory drugs target, so protects the Liver.
Other Uses in Siddha Used in the treatment of Joint pain, Cancer, Diabetes, Obesity etc
- Phyllanthus emblica (Amla, Nellikkai, Indian Gooseberry) Best source of Vitamin C and enriched with antioxidants that clears toxins from the Liver. Helps to treat Liver Cirrhosis, rehabilitation of alcoholics with severe Liver damage, Hepatits
Other Uses in Siddha Treats digestive problems, Diabetes, Urinary problems, Immunosuppressive ailments
- Andrographis paniculata (Nilavembu, Kiriyath) This herb is known as the ‘King of Bitters’ due to its extremely bitter taste but it provides sweetest health benefits. Clinical studies shows the compound ‘ andrographolide’ in this plant possess hepatoprotective effect. It also treats Liver Diseases, Jaundice, Hepatitis etc
Other Uses in Siddha Viral Fevers like Dengue and Chikungniya, Rheumatic complaints, Diabetes, Malaria, HIV etc
- Glycyrrhiza glabra (Indian Liquorice, Athimathuram) The flavanoids present in Liquorice is a strong antioxidant and Anti Hepatotoxic. A study from Texas Creighton University shows liquorice consumption improved Liver Health in alcoholic damage of Liver. It also helps to treat Hepatitis B and C
Other Uses in Siddha Treats Peptic Ulcers, Gastritis, Oral Ulcers, Respiratory ailments, Indigestion etc.
A healthy Liver is foundation of health and a failing liver is no doubt life threatening. Take care, Stay Healthy
Note Herbs should always be taken in right dose and right mode of administration to get best results. Avoid overdose. Consult a Siddha doctor before consuming it