Plant name : Asokam means “Removing or destroying all sorrows”
Botanical name : Saraca asoca
Family : Caesalpiniaceae
Actions : Astringent, Uterine-tonic, Uterine-sedative.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- For conditions like menorrhagia (excessive bleeding during menses), dysmenorrhoea (painful menses), leucorrhoea (excessive white discharge), oligomenorrhoea (scanty bleeding during menses) in ladies, the decoction prepared from bark of asoka is given.
- For karappan (eczema), sori, in children and for certain skin diseases in adults, the flowers of asokam is made into karkam and boiled with coconut oil, this is filtered and used externally over these ailments.
- The bark is crushed and boiled in cows milk and water and reduced to 1/5th part and given twice daily for disorders like menorrhagia, disorders of uterus etc.
- The juice of bark is effective in treating menorrhagia.
- Flowers are pounded, mixed with water and given for haemorrhagic dysentry, bleeding piles etc.
- For conditions like irregular mensturation, diseases of ovary like PCOD and even infertility, decoction of the bark is really effective if consumed daily.