Natural Health Remedies
Sangu pushpam – Natural remedy for filariasis
Plant name : Kakkanam or Sangu pushpam
“It cures leucorrhoea, diseases pertaining to head, fever and eye diseases”
Botanical name : Clitoria ternatea
Family : Papilionaceae
Actions : Cathartic, Diuretic, Demulcent.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- The seeds are powdered and given in the dose of 1 to 2 grams for filariasis.
- The leaves are ground with salt and applied over swellings.
- The roots are ground and given in the dose of 1 to 2 gram for filariasis.
- A Siddha medicine in the form of tablet known as Kakkanam ver mathirai is given for inducing purgation. In children half of this tablet is enough for this action.
- The fresh root of this plant is ground into a paste and given in dose of 1- 3 grams with ghee or butter twice daily for increasing memory, and intelligence. This medicine has also proved a good result in Goitre.
- 1 gram of the powder of flowers is given thrice daily with honey for bleeding disorders of uterus.
- The decoction of roots is an effective remedy for irritation of bladder and urethra.
- The powder of dried leaves is effective for disease of brain like mania, neuropsychosis and migrane.
- The powder of root is administered daily internally in the dose of about 1/2 gm for indigestion, eye diseases and leucorrhoea.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.