Plant name : Thamarai
“The flower of this plant is effective in management of Thamaraga noi (Cardiac ailments)”.
Botanical name : Nelumbo nucifera
Family : Nymphaeceae
Actions : Coolant, Nutrient, Expectorant, Cardiac tonic.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- For burning sensation of body Lotus flower can be ground as a paste and applied over the externally. The rhizome paste along with milk can be given internally for increased body heat and burning micturation.
- For toxic snake bites the Lotus flower can be ground well and given along with water internally at regular intervals.
- The juice of the flower can be administered for diarrhoea. It is good for Heart too.
- The decoction of the flower is good for fever due to pitham. It also acts as a Cardiac tonic.
- The manapagu prepared from Lotus flower can be given for Cough, Bleeding piles, Bloody diarrhoea etc.
- Venthamarai poo choornam a Siddha Medicine is very effective for Management of Hypertension and given in the dose of 1 – 2 grams with milk before food twice a day.
Note : Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.