Plant name : Karumkurinjhi
“The most precious and Traditional herb used in the Post natal care or Prasava raksha”.
Botanical name : Strobulanthus heiniyanus
Family : Acanthaceae
Actions : Anti-vatha, Demulcent, Blood purifier
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- For vatha diseases, leaves of Karumkurinji are heated first and then grinded and applied externally on affected areas. The samoolam is made into decoction and given internally for the same.
- For tooth pain, the samoolam is prepared into kudineer or decoction and used as gargle. The leaves ground and kept between the affected teeth.
- Kurinji kuzhambu is a very effective medicine for post natal care.
- For diabetes and Uirnary tract infections, Kurinji surasam- 10 ml is given twice daily.
- Kurinji surasam – 10ml is given twice a day and paste of kurinjhi leaves are externally applied for Sori and skin diseases.
- For Vatha diseases like Arthritis, the leaves of Kurinji are baked and tied into bundles in a piece of cloth called Kizhi and used for fomentation on the affected area after oil application.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.