Plant name : Milagu or Pepper
“It is an effective medicinal herb for all the systems of our body. Also used as an Antidote”
Botanical name : Piper nigrum
Family : Piperaceae
Actions : Carminative, Stimulant, Anti-asthmatic, Anti-periodic, Antidote, Anti-vatha, Expectorant.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- Administration of about 500 ml of dried pepper powder helps in increasing the digestive fire and hence increases the apetite.
- The powder or choornam of dried ginger, pepper and thippli is mixed in equal quantity and called thrikadugu. This choornam prevents the diseases caused by the vitiation of the three humours.
- A paste of pepper powder, onion and salt is applied as external paste over alopacia areata. It also supports hair growth in this condition.
- A well known medicine in Siddha called swasakudori pills is prepared from one part of juice of flowers of white variety of Calotropis gigantea and 4 parts of pepper is a very effective remedy for bronchial ailments.
- A fistful of arugampul or Cynadon dactylon, 1/2 part of vettilai or piper betle and 1/4 parts of pepper is used to prepare a decoction and given for blood purification.
- 1 teaspoon of pepper powder mixed with honey is given for cough with expectoration.
- The oil prepared from pepper powder and gingelly oil is applied externally for vatha diseases.
- The oil prepared from coconut oil and pepper powder is effective for skin itching and other skin ailments.
- Milagu thailam is a Siddha preparation used for external application in case of Sinusitis, Head ache and other diseases.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.