Plant name : Somalatha
“The divine amrutham “Somarasam” is an extract of this herb”
Botanical name : Sarcostemma acidum
Family : Asclepidaceae
Actions : Bronchodialator, Vasodialator, Anti-asthmatic, Diaphoretic.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- This plant is used in treatment of respiratory ailments like mild bronchospasms,allergic rhinitis, sinusitis, coryza or common cold.
- This plant is an ancient discovery of siddhars and they used it in extraction of somarasam which is considered to be an amrutham of life, and used in somayagam.
- The exact use of this plant is unknown but ancestors reveal that this plant is a kayakarpam and even could be used for awakening of Kundalini during meditation.
- During meditation when the awakening of kundalini occurs, the serpent power passes from one adharam or station successively. During this journey the person may undergo many physiological and psychological changes. This herb is said to be used in controlling these changes and hence the sahasradharam is enlightened.
- This sacred herb is today almost extinct and so it should be well protected preciously and research work should be done to find out the hidden mystery behind this divine herb.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.