Plant name : Vilvam or Koovalam
“According to Hindu mythology this sacred tree symbolizes Lord Siva”.
Botanical name : Aegle marmelos
Family : Rutaceae
Actions : Astringent, Anti-microbial, Anti-diabetic, Digestive.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- Unripe fruit of this tree is very good for digestive problems. When the fruit is half ripe (green) the pulp is taken and dried in Sun. This is then powdered and preserved 3 to 10 grams can be taken twice or thrice a day to cure diarrhoea, dysentry and worm infestation. It is also a very good source of vitamin C and treats scurvy.
- Ripe fruits is nutritious and laxative. The pulp of ripe fruits can be seived well and seeds are removed. It is a very good for toning the Intestine and cures constipation. In North India, Sharbat or drink is prepared from the seived pulp of Vilvam, milk and sugar. It is a very good drink perticularly in Summer season.
- Decoction of Vilvam leaves is good for peptic ulcer.
- Leaf juice 10 to 15 ml can given daily for treating Diabetes.
- Leaves can be soaked over night in water then ground well next morning and given with the remaining water to Diabetes patients.
- Powder of leaves and Turmeric powder can be given in the dose of half teaspoon twice or thrice a day to treat Megha neer katti, Diabetic ulcers etc.
- Siddha Medicine, Vilvam tablet is good to treat Hyperglycemia.
- Oil prepared from Vilvam leaves, gingelly oil and pepper is good bath oil if massaged regularly over the vertex before bath helpfull to treat Kapha problems.
- Oil prepared from leaves and gingelly oil can be used as Ear drops for Ear problems.
Note : Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.