Liver is the largest organ comprising of more than 300 specialised cells. Medical term for liver is Hepato or Hepatic derived from Greek word “Hepar”. The primary function of liver is to detoxify the body, release and produce bile, store vitamins minerals and sugar. If Liver fails the patient would hardly survive 24 – 50 hours so it is very important to keep a healthy liver. In other words good health depends on healthy liver. Poor functioning Liver produces symptoms like tiredness, headache, allergies, skin problems, digestive problems, weight gain etc. Eating healthy foods can improve and support liver functions on daily basis. Top foods which is essential for a healthy liver are listed below :
- Garlic : It contains numerous sulphur containing compounds that helps to eliminate toxins. Active compound allicin and antioxidants prevent cellular damage from free radicals. Garlic helps the liver to eliminate toxins like Mercury, food additives and hormone oestrogen. Prevents Liver cancer. Improves Immune system in Liver cancer patients.
- Cruciferous and Leafy vegetables : Cruciferous vegetables are powerful detoxifiers. It contains compounds that neutralises toxins of cigarette smoke or food poisons. Contains Glucosinolates, an organic compound that helps to produce enzymes for proper digestion and detoxification. Green leafy vegetables like spinach, lettuce etc are rich in Vitamin B, Folate etc which helps to protect liver from damage. These vegetables helps to detoxify.
- Turmeric : Protects the Liver from damaging effects of Alcohol, toxins and even drugs. It can regenerate the damaged Liver cells, Aids digestion, Stimulate production of bile, Helps the Liver to detoxify. Curcumin the yellow coloured pigment present in turmeric and powerful antioxidants are Anti-viral agents that prevent multiplication of viruses causing Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C.
- Lemon : Increased amount of Ascorbic acid and Vitamin C helps the Liver to metabolise fats and waste effectively. Stimulates the production of Glutathione an important Anti-oxidant which helps in detoxification process. Protects Liver cells from Free radical damage.
- Beet root : A vegetable rich in Anti-oxidants. Contains active compounds like Betane, Beta cyanine, Folate, Fibre, Iron etc. Pectin, fibre found in beets clears the toxin from the Liver allows them to be fleshed out of the system. “Betaine” helps the liver cells to detoxify. It protects the Liver cells and Bile ducts that maintain normal liver functions. Heals damaged Liver cells.
- Walnut : Increased Glutathione and Omega 3 fatty acids in walnut support the liver to detoxify, cleanse and eliminate harmful toxins out of the body.
- Grapes : Enriched with Vitamin C and Anti-oxidants and contains Liver detoxifying enzymes. It contains flavanoid compounds called Naringenin that causes Liver to burn fat rather than store it.
Go for the food that gives you healthy Liver. Plan your menu and get the right for you always!