World Heart Day was created in the year 2000 to influence people around the globe that heart disease and stroke are world’s leading cause of death claiming about 17. 5 million lives every year. Did you know that our heart beats about 72 times per minute i.e about 35 million times a year non stop. Even when we are resting our heart muscles work twice as hard as leg muscles of a running person. Our heart creates enough energy to drive a truck 32 kms every day i.e equivalent driving to moon and back in one life time. This organ starts its duty 4 weeks after conception and does not stop until death. The main cause or reasons for cardiovascular disorders are physical inactivity unhealthy diet and use of tobacco products. Not only males, women are equally prone to heart problems. Experts says that women have protective cover of estrogen hormone over heart ailments but lifestyle habits like smoking unhealthy eating and contraceptive pills make them easily prone to cardiovascular ailments and after menopause the risk doubles.
Following the theme of year 2013 World Heart Day – “Take the road to a Healthy Heart” Team Siddham is taking a little initiative in the big cause of this day to create awareness among our readers. Just to remind you to protect and care your heart. Here are few health tips.
1. Healthy Eating : Try to eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, whole grain, nuts, dairy, lean meat, eggs, fishes, pulses in diet. Lower the intake of sugar, salt and fat cut down saturated fats, red meat, high fat dairy products, palm oil etc and trans fat like deep fried foods, snacks and bakery items. Unsaturated fats like Olive oil, almonds, Omega 3 fatty acids are healthy for heart, go for it. Top 7 foods for a Healthy Heart.
- Garlic – Lowers Cholesterol, protects Cardiovascular system. A good Anti-oxidant also posses Anti-bacterial, Anti-viral, Anti-ulcer and Anti-clotting properties.
- Tomatoes – Contains Alpha and Beta Carotene, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Potassium and fiber. Lycopene an Anti-oxidant present in tomatoes is known to have cardiac protective properties.
- Nuts – Rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, Vitamin E, Magnesium, Fiber and heart favorable mono and poly unsaturated fats.
- Salmons and Tuna – Rich in Omega 3 fatty acids that protects heart and blood vessels.
- Kidney Bean – Rich in Vitamin B complex, Niacin, Folate, Magnesium, Calcium & Omega 3 fatty acids, Kidney Beans keep Heart and vascular system healthy.
- Oats – A bowl of Oats is loaded with Folate, Potassium, Fiber and Omega 3 fatty acids that lowers LDL and Cholesterol and also keeps the arteries clear.
- Olive Oil – Consuming nearly 2 to 4 table spoon of virgin olive oil is healthy for heart according to recent study published in New England Journal of Medicine. High in mono saturated fats, it helps to lower cholesterol and control insulin level in the body. Keeps the Blood Pressure under check and also slows down ageing of heart.
2. Keep Stress at Bay : Foods rich in Anti-oxidants bright colored fruits and vegetables, Vitamin C rich fruits, Vitamin B rich foods like whole grain, cereals, poultry, nuts etc, Green Tea, Ginger are well known Anti-stress foods. Yoga, Meditation, Exercise, Counseling and right amount of sleep helps to relax mind and keeps stress at bay.
3. Exercise, Work outs and physical activities : Exercise 30 minutes on most week days. Regular and daily exercise can reduce risk of heart diseases too much greater extend. Physical activities of any from like Gardening, House hold works, Cleaning, Playing etc should be encouraged in daily routine as it helps to control weight and reduces chances of developing conditions that put strain on heart such as high Blood pressure, Cholesterol and Diabetes. Walking is one of the least expensive and most broadly accessible form of physical activity in the world. 30 minutes of walking daily, five times a week of moderate exercise can increase the life expectancy by three years. Your feet can carry your heart very far in life so keep moving.
4. Quit Smoking and use of Tobacco products : Use of tobacco products and smoking increases the risk of heart block, stroke and other cardiac ailments. Quit tobacco one of the main culprit of cardiac ailments.
5. Good night sleep : A good night sleep is always important for a healthy heart and circulatory system. Sleep for at least 8 hours daily for a healthy heart and stress free life.
6. Oral Hygiene : According to experts, oral hygiene is important for a healthy heart. Dental infections can cause elevated levels of hormones and toxins as inflammatory response. These inflammatory changes can lead to damage in the walls of arteries known as Atherosclerosis, one of the major cause of Cardiac ailments.
7. Regular Health Check : Keep your Blood Pressure, Cholesterol, Blood Sugar and weight checked in regular basis. This will help to monitor the risk of coronary heart diseases.
Keep in mind these seven points which can give a road to your healthy heart. Hope these points will help you to take right decisions healthy for you and your heart.