Plant name : Sirukurinjan
“Also known as Sarkkaraikolli or Sweet Killer helps to treat Diabetes Mellitus”.
Botanical name : Gymnema sylvestre
Family : Asclepiadaceae
Actions : Anti-Diabetic, Diuretic, Anti-inflammatory, Laxative.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- Dried leaf powder of this plant can be given in the dose of 2 to 4 gram daily 2 to 3 times a day for 5 to 6 months to treat Diabetes Mellitus. It is said that long administration of this medicine can even eliminate Sugar present in Urine. High doses of this medicine may help to regenerate Beta cells of Pancreas study and research says.
- Administration of 5 to 7 grams of dried leaf powder along with milk can be given for Diabetes Mellitus, Sexual disfunction and Pyurea.
- Leaf can also be administered as decoction twice for 3 to 4 weeks for Diabetes Mellitus, Obesity, Hypercholestrolemia etc.Powder of dried leaves can also be given to treat these ailments.
- Leaf powder can be duusted or applied as a paste on the wounds due to snake bite. Infusion of dried leaves should be given internally.
- Seed powder helps to cure Cough, Rhinitis and Asthma.
- Leaves also cures Gastrointestinal dissorders like Constipation and Gas trouble when given as powder or infusion.
Note : Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.