Plant name : Orithazhthamarai
“A Herbal Tonic and an Aphrodisiac. Also used in eye diseases, toxicities etc.”
Botanical name : Ionidium suffruticosum
Family : Violaceae
Actions : General-tonic, Aphrodisiac, Diuretic, Demulcent.
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- A Siddha Medicine called Orithazhthamarai choornam is given in the dose of 2 to 4 grams twice a day with milk for Megham diseases or Gonorrhoeal diseases in ladies, leucorrhoea, increases sexual power or libido, improve the quality of semen. In woman, during parturition enhances milk secretion.
- The samoolam is crushed squeezed well in water, and this extract is used to wash the eyes in the conditions like itching in the eyes, pain, conjunctivitis etc.
- The samoolam of this plant is crushed well in water and used as a hair application (thali) in case of dandruff.
- This herb is a Kayakalpam and regular intake of this acts as a tonic and relieves ulcers and head ache when externally applied.
- An infusion or decoction of the roots is given for urinary infection.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.