Plant name : Etti
“Anti-vatha & Nervine tonic”.
Botanical name : Strychnos nux-vomica
Family : Loganiaceae
Actions : Anti-vatha, Nervine tonic, Purgative & Stimulant
Siddha Medicinal Uses :
- The seeds of this plant are highly medicinal but toxic too. To use it medicinally and nuetralise the poisonous effect it is purified in milk and water as per Siddha Literature. Powdered and purified seeds 1 to 2 pinch is given three times a day for three months for ailments like joint pains and joint swellings. Etti is used in treatment of chronic ailments like Vatha problems, Cancer, skin problems, Abdominal ailments etc.
- Etti is one one ingredients of classical Siddha preparations like Rasagandhi Mezhugu, Nandhi mai, LaghuVishamutti thylam, Moosambara patru etc.
- Laghu Vishamutti Thylam is an excellent external oil for spine- related problems, paralysis and nerve complaints.
- Recent research shows use of Etti in treatment of Male infertility.
- The wood of Etti is used in making Oil massage tables and beds as it has Anti Vatha properties.
Note : As seeds of this tree are poisonous & overdose of the medicine may also produce side effects, it is advised to use Etti only under Siddha physician’s prescription.
Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.