Plant Name: Nilavembu, also known as Kiriyath, “The better medicine to kill bitter ailments”
Botanical Name: Andrographis paniculata
Family Name: Acanthaceae
Actions: Anti-spasmodic, Febrifuge, Hepatotonic, Stomachic.
Siddha Medicinal Uses:
- Nilavembu is taken as samoolam, decoction is prepared with this and used in treatment of vatha diseases, fever, liver diseases etc.
- Liver disorders in children can be treated by giving the juice of the samoolam of this plant along with equal quantity of honey.
- Nilavembu, Kadugurohini and Adathodai are taken in equal quantity and decoction prepared from this can be given in dose of 10-30 ml in all types of fever.
- Nilavembu, Ramacham and Karuka patta are taken in equal amount, made into decoction and given in dose of 15-30 ml for all fevers, cough and common cold.
- It is an ultimate drug for even fevers like chikunguniya. It is also and excellent Blood purifier. Hence it is advisable to consume the decoction of this plant or the juice of the samoolam or the whole plant in this condition.
- In the disease like Rhematoid arthritis the fresh or dried powder of this plant is used as decoction and given.
- The decoction of this plant is used in treatment and prevention of Swine flu.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.