Plant name : Erukku
“The best medicinal plant for vatha diseases”
Botanical name : Calotropis gigantea
Family : Asclepiadaceae
Actions : Anthelmintic, Alterative, Laxative, Anti-vatha or Anti-rheumatic, Anti-asthmatic.
Siddha medicinal uses :
- For poisonous snake bites, 2 to 4 leaves of this plant is chewed well by the patient. Also fresh root of this plant are crushed well and applied well by rubbing firmly over the bitten area.
- The leaf juice 2-3 drops with equal quantity of honey is given for frequently occuring fever or periodic fever.
- For aphthous ulcers the latex of this plant is mixed with honey and applied over the affected area.
- The leaves are used as a very effective remedy as kizhi or ottradam (fomentation) for vatha diseases.
- The leaf juice along with honey is given internally for intestinal worms.
- The leaves are dried well and powdered and externally applied for unhealing ulcers.
- The flowers of this plant, (one or two part), pepper (one part), clove or athimathuram (1/2 part ) is ground well and given in the dose of pepper size for bronchial asthma.
- The latex is externally applied over rat bite, swellings, gonococcal arthritis, and other rheumatic complaints.
- The latex is externally applied over dental problems.
- The Arakkashara thylam prepared from the latex is a best medicine or any vatha complaints.
- In Siddha, there is a traditional medicine called Swasakudori mathirai. It is prepared using the flowers of white variety of this plant and pepper taken in equal quantities. After purification, they are ground well and rolled to pepper size and dried in shade. It is then given in proper doses in the conditions chronic cough and bronchial asthma.
Note: Siddha treatment is based on complete physical examination of the patient, Naadi diagnosis, and other diagnostic criteria of the disease. The content given in this article is purely meant for information and education purpose only. Kindly consult a Siddha physician before any sort of self medication.